Saturday 5 July 2014

DIY Coasters

Hi everyone! I'm back today to share with you a project I took on recently. I've been searching for coasters that match my room decor for quite some time and I either found ones that weren't quite right or were way out of my price range. Of course, I took it upon myself to make my own!

Things you'll need: Cork coasters, white acrylic paint, a paint brush, a spray paint in the colour of your choice, another spray paint in the accent colour of your choice and a sealing spray


Step 1: Paint all the coasters with the base coat of white acrylic paint. This step can be optional, but I find that in order for the colours to be vibrant, this really helps.


Step 2: Set up an area where it is safe to spray paint and go to town! As you can see, I've included here a box lid that I will be using for another project that essentially follows the same steps.


 Step 3: Wait, flip, spray, repeat.


Steps 3 + 4: I don't have pictures of these, but all I did is waited until the coasters were completely dry, in my case I waited until the next weekend as I never have time on weeknights, but as long as they are dry it should be fine. I used masking / painters tape to create an array of designs, making sure to tape over the areas I wanted to remain the minty blue colour. I then sprayed with my gold paint and let dry. The gold I used was really good quality so only one coat was needed, but spray as desired.

Step 5: Right after you spray and the paint is still wet, delicately remove the tape and leave to dry.

Step 6: Enjoy your beautiful, custom designed new coasters! I used a theme of mixing geometric with organic patterns, making sure each design lacks consistency. I wanted them to reflect my style, so make sure you use patterns that reflect who you are!

Here is the finished product:




Let me know if you make your own coasters, I'd love to see pictures!

B

No comments:

Post a Comment